LTL freight shipping is employed for the shipping of small cargo or when cargo does not need the use of an entire trailer. This transportation method is recommended when cargo weights between 150 and 15,000 pounds. There’re so many benefits of LTL freight shipping which includes:
Decreased costs: When booking an LTL consignment, you only reimburse for the part of the trailer used. The rest of the cost will be covered by the other dwellers of the trailer’s space.
Enhances security: The majority of Less Than Truck Load consignments are packaged onto pallets prior to being loaded onto a truck! One properly packed pallet has a superior chance of staying secure than consignments with more than one smaller handling unit.
Supplementary service options: When transporting through Less Than Truck Load, you’ve access to special services such as liftgates and inside pickup and delivery.
Tracking: Less Than Truck Load carriers provide tracking capabilities via the bill of lading number, PO number, PRO number, consignment reference number and pick up date range, to name a few.
Factors that determines your LTL shipping costs:
- Location: Usually, the further the distance, the higher the cost
- Mode: LTL consignments can be accelerated for an additional fee.
- Dimensions: The weight and dimensions of the consignment help decide the cargo class, which directly impacts costs.
- Type: A consignment that needs special handling will probably lead to higher prices.
How to prepare Less Than Truck Load shipments?
- Dimension: While measuring the width, length and height of a consignment round up to the next inch. Precise dimensions are important for carriers to make the most of their capacity and for you to steer clear of adjustment fees.
- Documentation fees: The bill of lading must be done as precisely as feasible to offer to the carriers when they arrive. This document acts as a receipt for the freights that are being transported.
- Packaging & labeling: Load freights onto pallets to condense & safeguard your consignments. Bulky stuffs must be placed on the foot of pallets or crates and label must be placed on the side.
How LTL freight tracking software can ease out LTL shipping challenges?
With the option to use the service employing an on-demand model, LTL carrier tracking software can decrease the capital costs related with in-house systems, including software, hardware, network, maintenance, and database management. It can also help you decrease overall vehicle and driver requirements & costs.